Talib Kweli on The Combat Jack Show, Pt. 3 (Video)
Part 3 of Combat Jack’s interview with Talib Kweli is pretty insightful. The teenage b-boy in me crams to understand—or picture Talib and Mos Def (Yasiin Bey) recording Black Star songs in MC Hammer’s company. Including that nugget of candid information (Kweli admits to be a Hammer-hater in the early 1990s), here’s five things were learned in less than four minutes: Related: Talib Kweli on The Combat Jack Show, Pt. 2 (Video)
1. Prisoner Of Conscious was designed to challenge Kweli’s musical legacy
2. For years, OkayPlayer.com was the only site Talib visited to read about himself (he later caught his own album bootlegged there)
3. Talib’s respect for Mack Maine, and the Lil Wayne-assisted “Celebration”
4. Recording Black Star records at MC Hammer’s house
5. Talib claims to be one of the first artists to give away an album for for free (Liberationwith Madlib in 2007)
Do you think Kweli is deserving of credit for helping pioneer the free album movement with Liberation back in ’07?