The Charges Against Jussie Smollett Are Dropped
In a breaking story, prosecutors have dropped its felony charges against Empire actor Jussie Smollett. The move happened this morning (March 26), following an arrest late last month under the suspicion of making false reports regarding an incident in Chicago, Illinois on January 29. The actor was released on $10,000 bond.
“After reviewing all of the facts and circumstances of the case, including Mr. Smollett’s volunteer service in the community and agreement to forfeit his bond to the city of Chicago, we believe this outcome is a just disposition and appropriate resolution to this case,” the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office said in a statement. According to The New York Times, the official report did not shed light on possible new evidence or information.
A member of the 36-year-old actor’s legal team, Anne Kavanagh, told the press, “Today, all criminal charges against Jussie Smollett were dropped and his record has been wiped clean of the filing of this tragic complaint against him. Jussie was attacked by two people he was unable to identify on January 29. He was a victim who was vilified and made to appear as a perpetrator as a result of false and inappropriate remarks made to the public causing an inappropriate rush to judgment. Jussie is relieved to have this situation behind him and is very much looking forward to getting back to focusing on his family, friends, and career.”
Smollett has not yet spoken to media in this developing story.